Ezra's Run

Monday, February 25, 2008

One of my typical New Years resolutions is to exercise more, but I always seem to fall short of the level I would like to be at. I also firmly believe that "what gets measured, gets done"... So if I could some how measure my progress and have all my friends bug me about keeping my goal, I will somehow succeed. Right?

And so I signed up for a half marathon.

Now how will I measure it? Click here. Each time I run, I'm going to log my time and miles in this handy little spreadsheet. Then I can easily compare that to the plan I found at some fanatical runners site selling spandex (not going to happen) and $200 shoes (Looking for the right excuse).

Occasionally, I'll publish a little graph, like the one below, showing how I'm doing.

The spreadsheet also shows the course I ran (find the web address to the right) and other bits and pieces of data that I'll collect along the way.

I expect to start slow...hey I just had surgery...and I doubt I'll ever hit the 25 miles per week, but at least I've committed to all my friends and the www that I'm going to finally get into shape...or kill myself running 13.1 miles.

Now, to make this work, I need everyone to bug me about it and I need your motivational support.

And how can I get people to help me?

If you leave a short motivational quote or comment, I'll write it on a white t-shirt that I'll wear on race day... Ok, that sounds kind of cheesy, but if you think its a good idea, let me know and I'll still think about it.

Either way ... help me! I need motivation!

5 comments:

Russ February 25, 2008 at 8:43 PM  

first off, you need to get some real running shoes. I seem to have some connections to get you some really good ones cheap.

Anonymous,  February 25, 2008 at 9:28 PM  

You're tempting my budget...but I need motivation!!!!!

Still, I may have to take you up on that. :)

Hey - You should do this with me!

Heddie February 26, 2008 at 10:06 PM  

Holy Cow! A half-marathon-that's exciting! In my athletic experience (though minimal), I've found that motivation is overrated. If you have an idiot, and you motivate him, you have a motivated idiot! That's no good. I like your plan-
1.set a date
2.plan your daily workouts.
3. Track your progress each week. Evaluate-have you achieved your mileage or time goals?
If you only do things when you want to and when you're motivated, (i.e. study, worship, work) that's a formula for disaster! BUT, if you have your workouts planned, you no longer have to think 'wanting' to do it or 'feeling motivated', you just do it because you made the previous commitment. Pretty soon doing the uncomfortable becomes comfortable and your initial goal becomes a stepping stone in a much bigger picture. But...if you need encouragement...you're awesome!

Anonymous,  February 26, 2008 at 10:47 PM  

Ahh wait...are you saying I'm an idiot...or worse, a motivated idiot?

That's a great quote for the t-shirt.

Dang, we'll at least my shoes are comfortable and they look awesome! ;)

Luv ya sis!

Shannon Bousfield March 12, 2008 at 10:00 PM  

Jeanette and I REALLY enjoyed our 5k in December...and haven't run since! We keep planning to get started again, but life is busy with kids, ya know? Anyway, my sister just blogged about her new running motivator. You have to scroll past the sewing blub, but you can see what she has to say...

http://dawgeatdawgworld.blogspot.com/2008/03/life-outside-mae-osphere.html

Good luck!

Post a Comment